OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Integration of ORCID (and other) records into the source

General inquiries about the PKP.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, vgabler, barbarah, John

Forum rules
Feel free to post general inquiries about the PKP Here. We'll also post notes of interest from time to time. You may also want to check out the PKP blog.

Integration of ORCID (and other) records into the source

Postby akkurtb » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:11 am

Hello,
I have started working as an ambassador to ORCID community and also trying to establish an open-access journal for Turkish Chemical Society. I would very much like to include (and somewhat urge to) the authors' ORCID codes in the articles. The codes, however, are complex with 16 digits and it is not a good idea to enter them manually. Is it possible to include a modification that allows us to enter the copied ORCID URL into an area, so that we can add to the main text? By creating their ORCID codes, they will also be required to create Scopus Author ID and Researcher ID, all of which will surely enable identification and discrimination with a unique identification code. So, to sum up, I would like to know if it is possible to create fields for at least ORCID, but if possible, for Researcher ID and Scopus Author ID, too, I would be grateful. It is understandable, of course, for an open source software to include the ORCID record only, and I would agree to that.
Best regards,
Mr. Barbaros Akkurt, PhD
Chemist, Turkish Chemical Society
Ambassador, ORCID community
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4066-3004
akkurtb

Re: Integration of ORCID (and other) records into the source

Postby asmecher » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:04 am

Hi akkurtb,

We do have longer-term plans to support ORCID, but likely based on the OJS 3.0 platform, which is currently a work in progress. If you're interested in supporting it earlier, then a plugin is probably the best way; the Google Analytics plugin, for example, adds an additional form field to author the information to allow authors to provide their own Google Analytics ID.

The other complication with ORCID is -- as I understand it -- a paid membership is required in order for a journal to submit data about publications to the ORCID knowledge base. This is a little backwards to me; ORCID needs to compete e.g. with Google Scholar, and to expect journals to pay in order to provide data to ORCID will make it untenable for many of our users. Of course, requesting ORCID IDs during the submission process doesn't affect this aspect of ORCID interoperability but it does play into our long-term appetite for ORCID support. Google Scholar, by contrast, harvests submission metadata directly from OJS via meta tags embedded into the article view pages.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: Integration of ORCID (and other) records into the source

Postby akkurtb » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:23 am

Thank you for your support. I think ORCID needs to supply funds from the publishers, if not from the authors. To maintain the jobs, they need sponsors, and publishers seem to be the right option for them. I share your view about freedom of the services, so the best way of acting for now is to request the authors to complete their data and copy-paste the link to a form field or e-mail to the editor. Will get back to you if I have any new ideas.
akkurtb

Return to General Discussion