OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Looking for more information on OJS subscription features

General inquiries about the PKP.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, vgabler, barbarah, John

Forum rules
Feel free to post general inquiries about the PKP Here. We'll also post notes of interest from time to time. You may also want to check out the PKP blog.

Looking for more information on OJS subscription features

Postby radjr » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:20 am

Hello-
I am looking for more detailed information on the subscription management section of OJS as well as details one downloading and importing subscription data into OJS. Thanks in advance for all help. VTY, radjr
radjr

Re: Looking for more information on OJS subscription feature

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:24 am

Hi radjr,

The import/export tools do not currently support user-attached subscription data (such as IP range, subscription start/end date, etc), though article-attached data (such as open access date, subscription requirements,etc.) can be imported using the Article & Issues XML plugin. Can you be more specific about the type of information you're looking for?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby radjr » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks Alec,

Specifically I was looking for an import/export map and tools that allows us to Import and Export all the important fields including full contact details, email, start/end dates, etc. into the database of OJS so we can pipe stuff down from our subscription software to OJS and vice versa.

Additionally there is functionality built into OJS to support subscriptions..and we would like to understand that functionality and the process behind it versus guessing at it.

Thanks,
radjr
radjr

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi radjr,

To work with batch subscription content, the best approach for now is probably to go directly to the DB; the relevant tables are "users", "user_settings", "subscription_type_settings", "subscription_types", "subscriptions", "institutional_subscriptions", and "institutional_subscription_ip". Our current documentation is fairly thin on specific descriptions of subscription support, but basically, you can designate all or part of your content as subscription-based; then create several types of subscriptions, potentially at different prices; grant both individual and institutional subscriptions, potentially with IP address-based authorization; and take payment online. If you have specific questions, I can answer them here or pass them on to the developer who has worked most frequently on that code.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby radjr » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks Alec-

This is helpful and I will codify my detailed questions. On a more basic level, What is the current support for subscriber import and export and is it a two step processs, import the user details them apply a subscriber type to that record? Seems that all the pieces are there..but it is just an issue of connecting the dots for basic I/O functionality. Thanks.
radjr

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi radjr,

As I described here, there is not yet support for importing subscriptions via the import/export tools. You can import user accounts, however, including usernames, emails, names, etc.; then adding subscription information to that would be a separate process, either done manually via the Journal Manager's "Subscriptions" interface, or by going directly to the database to associate the information there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby radjr » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:41 pm

OK. Sorry.. I guess I asked and you answered previously...like in July!

So, this is a known issue per http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4064 . Is a fix in the development plan for the near future? Or is this something that could use some development dollars? How do we have that discussion? I am sure there are a few that may pony up some help. Thanks and Cheers, radjr
radjr

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi radjr,

That task is currently scheduled against OJS 3.1. We're doing a complete rewrite of the import/export tools for OJS 3.0, and any new extensions to the current functionality will probably be based on that foundation, so as to avoid having to implement it twice. However, OJS 3.0 is not going to be a trivial upgrade when it's released next year, and we're expecting to maintain the stability of OJS 2.4.x for some time after it's released. Long story short, that functionality isn't likely to make it into OJS 2.4.x of its own accord; if it's a high priority for you, and you have some development funds to throw at it, contact us here. It's likely that the most efficient thing to do is simply import your user content as a one-off, but if it turns out to be minimal extra complexity to extend the existing import/export tools, it might be of benefit to other community members.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to General Discussion