PKP Bugzilla – Bug 5531
Add runtime environment check to plug-ins
Last modified: 2015-03-12 14:55:21 PDT
We are moving to Git Issues for bug tracking in future releases. During transition, content will be in both tools. If you'd like to file a new bug, please create an issue.
An automatic runtime environment definition and validation has been implemented for filters (see the Filter class, search for runtime). We should do the same for plug-ins. The advantages are:
- dependencies on installation requirements are well documented within the plug-in
- dependencies can be checked while installing/enabling the plug-in and meaningful error messages can be produced when the runtime environment is not sufficient
- we can avoid loading plug-ins which have unmet dependencies and issue a meaningful error message
- The version.xml file can be used to document runtime dependencies, they can be retrieved from there and saved in the plugin-settings table during installation (see FilterDAO for the Filter-specific persistence layer of runtime requirements)
- The RuntimeEnvironment class has been implemented in a way that it can also be used to very easily check dependencies for plug-ins.
And of course this can be done in a backwards compatible way by assuming "no runtime requirements" if the corresponding settings are absent.
Prefer moving the smarts to the Wordpress side and focusing on the plugin gallery there.